Find Guest Houses, Apartments and Shared Apartments in Tokyo ゲストハウス

Find a Room, Guest House, Apartment or Shared Apartment in Tokyo, Japan
Twitter Facebook Blog

Foreign Resident Registration Card

If you are going to reside in Japan on a working, general or specified visa you will need to register as a foreign resident in Japan and obtain a foreign resident registration card which you will need to carry with you everywhere, this card is often referred to as a gaijin card.


Registration needs to be done at the local ward, city, town or village municipal office within 90 days of entering the country.


Having Foreign Resident Registration card is not only a requirement but it can be useful for opening back accounts and subscribing to a mobile phone network.


Once you have registered as a foreign resident you can register a seal (hanko), this is done in the same place as foreign resident registration and can be useful in certain situations such as buying a car or entering into a contract.